Industry is the biggest contributor to the EU economy, accounting approximately 20% of the EU GDP, providing jobs and growth. In order for Industry to continue bringing prosperity to Europe, it needs to adapt continuously and tackle new challenges.
Industry 5.0 is a policy brief of the Directorate-General for Research and Innovation of the European Commission. Industry 5.0 should not be seen as a chronological evolution of Industry 4.0; it is a new way of European Industry and emerging societal trends will coexist.
Industry 5.0 was discussed amongst participants from research and technology organisations, as well as funding agencies across Europe in two virtual workshops organised by Directorate “Prosperity” of DG Research and Innovation, on 2 and 9 July 2020. Six categories have been highlighted as part of technological frameworks:
- Individualised Human-machine-interaction;
- Bio-inspired technologies and smart materials;
- Digital twins and simulation;
- Data transmission, storage, and analysis technologies;
- Artificial Intelligence;
- Technologies for energy efficiency, renewables, storage and autonomy
Consult Industry 5.0: https://ec.europa.eu/info/publications/industry-50_en